Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Confessions of a stressed out, homeschool mom

Okay as many of you know I home school all three of my children. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but I wouldn't have it any other way. My philosophy is I got to enjoy watching them learn to walk and talk. Why would I not want to teach them how to read and write as well?

Now on the flip side of that same coin, it's hard. A lot harder than I expected it to be. Times 100. Someone asked me the other day how I do it. The only answer I could muster without scaring them into never home schooling their children (If that were even an option) was, "It takes the patience of Job. . . And I don't have it. But I do it anyway." Sometimes the things that are the most worthy of our time and attention are going to take more effort. As a parent I literally have blood, sweat, and tears invested into my children. Why would I want to send them off to someone else to teach them? And who says the way they are being taught is how I want them to be taught? Or what type of unlearning am I going to have to teach them to undo the things they learn at school that I deem inappropriate?

I myself was taught in public school and also in private school and some homeschooling thrown in there for good measure. I pretty much have experienced the "melting pot" of school experiences. I am not saying that public school is bad. Public school in it's entirety is probably a very good fit for lots of families for many different reasons. But not for mine. There are also lots of people who couldn't home school. I totally understand that and on some days would even agree with you. Some days I wake up and wonder, "Why on EARTH am I torturing myself like this?!" It would be so much easier just to send them away at 7 and get them back at 3:30. And while I am usually the one to take the road most traveled and follow the crowd, in this instance I insist on doing what is best in my mind for my children.

Deuteronomy 6:6-9
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as front lets between your eyes. You shall write them on the door posts of your house and on your gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment